Monday, October 26, 2015

Mikrotik WiFi project overview

Project Overview

I have scoured the net and found so little information on SIMPLE MikroTik / Routerboard WiFi installations I decided to write my configuration in detail for other to see working examples and so I have a record of what I did.

Here are my requirements:
1.  I need WiFi in several buildings.
2.  I need WiFi is some outdoor work areas.
3.  I need to share a single Internet connection that is at the entrance to the property and at the lowest geographic location.
4.  I don't want to daisy-chain the WiFi. As much as geographically possible I will bridge back to the original installation.
5.  I need a single network so I can access equipment and provide desktop support throughout the property.

To accomplish this I am using the following MikroTik 2.4ghz WiFi models:
- RB951Ui-2HnD   - Indoor AP and router.  see specs here: http://routerboard.com/RB951Ui-2HnD
- RBSXTG-2HnD  - outdoor AP and router.  specs: http://routerboard.com/RBSXTG2HnD
- RBSXT-2nD  or  SXT Lite2 - CPE station.  specs: http://routerboard.com/RBSXT2nDr2

Mikrotik makes products that are MUCH faster and more robust then these and I recommend all their equipment, however, this installation is in a remote location with 10mb Internet and I don't need 1gb ethernet or amazing throughput, plus these models are extremely affordable.  A note about the SXT Lite2: this is an SXT with a level 3 license which means it can only have one connection. We are using these devices to create wireless bridges so we only need one network connection. You could use the full level 4 licensed SXT's to do the same thing and they would be more versatile. I chose the Lite2 because it was $15 cheaper than the full licensed SXT.

Here is the basic installation in a picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment